Recently my sister and I visited our favorite wine bar, D’Vine Gourmet Wines in DeLand, Florida. After a relaxing evening of great wine and music, we left with a bottle of Port wine for another night. The wine kept taunting me on the kitchen counter, challenging me to do something other than just drink the wine. While that would have been very enjoyable, I knew I wanted to experiment a bit. So that is exactly what I did. This recipe of Roasted Baby Potatoes with a Port and Blue Cheese Glaze is the results of that experiment…and it is a tasty little experiment indeed!
Roasted anything is just about one of my favorite meals but roasted potatoes and pearl onions is great all by itself. Add a glaze made up of smooth and sweet Port wine with some tangy blue cheese and the result is simply delicious. This may sound complicated with such a lengthy title but really, this is so simple and goes just perfectly with my Sirloin Tip Roast and Honey Roasted Carrots with Mint for a fabulous family dinner. Give the entire meal a shot this weekend. Save some of the extra Port to go alongside your meal!
Roasted Baby Potatoes with a Port Wine and Blue Cheese Glaze
2 lb Baby white potatoes, halved
2 Cups Pearl onions, peeled (see hint for peeling below)
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Thyme, minced
1 Cup Port wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread potatoes and pearl onions evenly in one layer on sheet pan. Roast for 1 hour, stirring at least once.
- With 20 minutes remaining to roasting time, add vegetable oil and garlic to small sauce pan over medium heat. Do not allow to brown.
- Add port wine and honey. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until reduced by half.
- Drizzle potatoes with glaze and thyme. Return to oven for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes to ensure even coverage.
- Remove from oven and transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle with blue cheese and serve.