I was at a local restaurant recently with my parents and my mom was going on and on about the creamy broccoli salad on the salad bar. It had a nice blend of crunchy broccoli, sweet raisins, and a tangy mayo based dressing. Actually, broccoli salad is pretty common in the South so I thought I would try my hand at a new version. I wanted a sweet and creamy dressing, a tiny bit of bite from red onions, and some additional crunch and flavor from sunflower seeds. So here you have it…a creamy broccoli salad mixed with a generous amount of Craisins, sunflower seeds and red onion. With the extra fresh broccoli and tangy dressing, I think we have a success!
Give this southern favorite a try this week for something refreshing. With the added benefit of being a no cook recipe, you can kick back and enjoy. I think you will love the fresh from the garden taste!
12 Slices Bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 Heads Broccoli, cut into bite size florets
1/2 Cup Red onion, diced small
3/4 Cup Craisins
5 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Mayonaise
1 Cup Sunflower seeds
- In large bowl, combine broccoli, red onion, craisins, and sunflower seeds.
- In small bowl, mix vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Stir well.
- Add mayo mixture to broccoli. Toss until all ingredients are well covered.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Add bacon and toss well. Serve chilled.