One weekend, I was bored with my lunch choices…grilled cheese, ham and swiss, hot dog, so on and so forth. I was in the mood for something zestier. I had shrimp and that appeared to be about it. Taking a look at my pantry, I realized I had so much more. With just the basics in my pantry plus the shrimp, I came up with a unique and quite tasty summer sandwich!
In your pantry or fridge you probably have mayo, BBQ sauce and a bunch of other condiments and spices. If you do, you have the makings of a Creamy BBQ Sauce. Don’t have shrimp, use chicken. Either way, give this sandwich a chance and clear out that pantry!
Zesty Shrimp Sandwich with a Creamy BBQ Sauce
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
1 lb Shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 Tbsp Mayonaise
2 Tbsp Honey BBQ Sauce
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp Sweet relish
Lemon zest of half a lemon
2 tsp Lemon juice
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
4 Hot dog rolls
1/4 Cup Onion, diced
1/2 Cup Romaine lettuce, chopped
1/4 Cup Tomato, diced
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix oil, 1/2 tsp Old Bay, and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add shrimp to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Mix mayo, BBQ sauce, Dijon, relish, zest, lemon juice, and 1 tsp Old Bay. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat large skillet. Do not add any butter or oil. Add minced onions, sweating for 3 minutes. Add shrimp. Do not add remaining oil, reserving for later use. Cook shrimp on both sides until fully cooked. Remove shrimp and onions from pan.
- Brush rolls with remaining marinade. Toast each roll face down in skillet until lightly browned.
- Assemble each sandwich by slathering with creamy BBQ sauce, then add shrimp. Top with lettuce and tomatoes.