Just like most of us, I am trying to eat healthier. My niece Kayla kept pushing me during her visit this summer. Every time she would do something healthy, like take the stairs instead of the elevator, she would chant…”one good decision leads to another”. So I took her advice this morning and made my first food decision of the day a good one. However, I had to add a touch of sweet since my sweet tooth was telling me to ignore Kayla.
So, today’s mostly healthy breakfast is this Honey Vanilla Yogurt with Sweet Toasted Almonds. We will see how Kayla’s mantra helps me with my food decisions later in the day…
Honey Vanilla Yogurt Parfait with Sweet Toasted Almonds Recipe
1 1/2 Cups Vanilla yogurt
1/4 Cup Blueberries
1/4 Cup Strawberries, diced small
2 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Slivered almonds
2 Tbsp Honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon together. Add almonds. Stir to coat. On a parchment paper lined baking sheet add almonds along with sugar mixture in a single layer. Bake for 3-5 minutes until almonds are fragrant and lightly toasted.
- In small bowl, add yogurt and honey. Mix well.
- In two bowls or cups (preferably glass so you can see the layers), add a third of the yogurt, then a third of the fruit. Layer for three layers.
- On top of final layer of yogurt, garnish with remaining fruit then almonds to serve.