Several years ago I traveled with some friends to Greece. It really was a trip of a lifetime with amazing scenery, good friends, smooth red wine, and some of the best food I have ever tasted in my life. One of the dishes I found at almost every restaurant we visited was a Baked Feta appetizer. We would receive a bubbling hot foil wrapped package of delicious, salty feta that we would scoop onto veggies, crackers, and bread…lots of bread. I have spent years thinking about this feta cheese and have tried to recreate it a few times. When I found a high quality feta at a local gourmet food market, I decided that I was going to treat myself to some Baked Feta today.
If this Baked Feta is calling to you as is does me, pick up a block of decent quality feta cheese and treat yourself to one of the easiest appetizers you’ve had in a long time. Be sure to stop by my website afterwards and tell me what you think.
Baked Feta Appetizer Recipe
1/2 lb Firm block feta cheese
4 Tbsp Olive oil
1/2 Cup Tomatoes, diced
Pinch Oregano, dried
2 Small cloves Garlic, minced
1 Loaf French bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have four sheets of aluminum foil (approximately 6″ x 6″ square) available on large sheet pan. Splash each foil sheet with olive oil.
- Cut feta into 4 equal slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Place each feta slice on a foil square.
- Sprinkle each feta slice with a pinch of oregano, diced tomatoes, and garlic. Top each with a splash of olive oil.
- Gather foil to make a pouch – no liquid should be able to leak out.
- Place sheet pan in oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately in foil. Do not discard the liquid in each foil package – this is perfect for mopping up with the bread! Serve with fresh loaf of French bread.