In the interest of watching my weight (watching it do absolutely nothing these days!), I generally lean towards the turkey, no mayo kind of sandwich. Sometimes I get a little crazy and go for the ham and Swiss cheese. Not today! Today I want a hot sandwich that is overflowing with all the fixin’s!
This Hot Roast Beef Sandwich with Horseradish Mayonnaise and Crispy Shallots is a perfect way to beat the sandwich blahs! It sounds more complicated than it actually is. I simply sautéed some deli roast beef, mixed some horseradish and mayo, and fried up some shallots…all in about 15 minutes. Add aged sharp cheddar cheese, an onion roll, lettuce and tomato and you have a hearty, filling, and amazingly delicious sandwich.
Whether you crave a tasty hot sandwich for lunch or dinner put this Hot Roast Beef Sandwich with Horseradish Mayonnaise and Crispy Shallots at the top of your list. I am confident you will truly enjoy it!
Hot Roast Beef Sandwich with Horseradish Mayonnaise and Crispy Shallots Recipe
3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
2 1/2 Tbsp Prepared horseradish
4 Shallots, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
1/2 lb Deli roast beef, thinly sliced
4 Slices Sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 Onion rolls, sliced in half
4 Slices Tomatoes
Romaine lettuce leaves
- Stir mayonnaise and horseradish until well mixed. Taste for horseradish flavor, adjusting to personal taste. Set aside.
- Heat sauté pan over medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil, not the full tablespoon. Add the roast beef in batches. Cook until lightly browned. Add a splash of olive oil between batches. Sprinkle with salt and pepper when hot. Set aside.
- In the same pan over medium high heat, add vegetable oil. When hot, add shallots and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry until golden brown and crispy. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Toast onion rolls. Spread mayonnaise mixture on both sides liberally.
- Layer roast beef and cheese to bottom half of roll. Put under broiler for 3-5 minutes to melt cheese.
- Add crispy shallots, tomato and lettuce. Top with remaining half of onion roll. Serve warm.