Whether you are cooking for one or your entire family, personal pizzas make everyone happy. You get what you want on your pizza and so does everyone else. I like the idea of setting out a variety of ingredients and letting everyone build their own personal pizza. One of the best ways to make this happen is to use pitas as your pizza crust. A pita is the perfect personal pan pizza size, is thin enough to not overwhelm the perfect pizza bite but is also thick enough to create a sturdy pizza base.
Today, I was focused on pepperoni and green peppers. When I have pepperoni pizza, I prefer the taste of the zesty pepperoni in every bite. I accomplish this by buying my pepperoni in thin slices in the deli of my grocery store (sometimes called sandwich pepperoni). Rather than the thicker slices of small rounds of pepperoni, I have thin slices that are perfect for layering on my pita. I also think that a homemade pizza sauce, which takes about ten minutes by the way, is the way to go. The jarred stuff just doesn’t give me the freedom to make this Personal Pepperoni Pita Pizza my own.
Buy some pitas this week and treat you and your family to a movie night with personal pizzas! It will be a perfect end to any day.
Personal Pepperoni Pita Pizza Recipe
4 Pitas, onion or honey wheat flavored
1 Green pepper, diced small
1 Onion, diced
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (preferably fire roasted)
2 Tbsp Tomato paste
1 tsp Oregano, dried
1 Tbsp Onion powder
1/4 lb Pepperoni, deli style, sliced thin
1 Cup Mozzarella cheese
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium sauce pan, add 1 tbls olive oil, onions and green peppers over medium heat. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent. Set aside.
- In same pot, add 1/2 tbls of olive oil and garlic over medium low heat. Allow garlic to sweat for one minute. Add oregano, onion powder, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir well. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lay out four pitas on aluminum foil, pressing flat if needed. Spread about two heaping tbls of the tomato sauce on each pita. Layer pepperoni in two layers, covering every inch while leaving about a 1/4 inch crust bare. Add onions and peppers. Top the pitas evenly with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake the pizzas for 10-12 minutes, until the cheese is beginning to brown. Serve immediately.