All of Central Florida is abuzz right now…tomorrow morning we will be waking up to temperatures in the 50’s. For us Floridians, this is a wonderful reprieve from the heat and humidity that calls for fuzzy socks (what? no flip flops?) and relaxing on the back porch. It also means we will all collectively be craving soup. There will be beef stews, chicken noodle soups, and other crock pot concoctions made up this week. I want a quick soup that can be ready for a visit to my back porch. That’s where Parmesan Tortellini Soup comes in. This easy soup is not only quick but is unique in its use of a parmesan rind to flavor the broth. The addition of cheese tortellini gives this soup some heartiness too. I plan on making some this week…how about you?
Parmesan Tortellini Soup Recipe
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated plus the rind (about 3″ x 3″)
6 Cups Chicken broth
5 Cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 Medium onion, small dice
3 Sprigs Thyme
1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Cups Frozen tortellini, thawed
2 Cups Baby spinach leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
Flat Leaf Italian Parsley, chopped for garnish
- Add oil to stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Stir until translucent.
- Add rind, broth and thyme sprigs. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. Remove sprigs and rind.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add tortellini and simmer covered for another 10 minutes. Tortellini should be al dente.
- Add spinach and stir another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve garnished with shredded Parmesan and parsley.