I have always had a love-hate relationship with sausage. In most cases, a fresh link sausage is quite delicious. Then my brain gets in the way. I think about what might be in the sausage, what the casing actually is, so on and so forth. My brain plays the same games with me when it comes to eggs but that is a story for another day. What I have found though is that my brain doesn’t seem to care if I am eating chicken sausage. It has become my new favorite type of sausage. I have tried chicken sausage stuffed with gouda and pear, chicken sausage stuffed with fennel, and now my favorite is chicken sausage stuffed with granny smith apples. It is mild with a hint of sweetness.
This Chicken Sausage Hash makes use of the chicken sausage with granny smith apples. It is just perfect for breakfast. Add some red peppers, onions, garlic and swiss cheese and you have a delicious morning hash. Top it with a fried egg and you have an outstanding meal…unless your brain has anything to say about it.
Chicken Sausage Hash Recipe
1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
4 Links Chicken sausage
2 Potatoes, large
2 Cups Chicken stock
1 Onion, medium dice
1 Red pepper, medium dice
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Butter
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Brown the sausage links until browned on all sides.
- In same pan, add potatoes and chicken stock. Turn heat up to medium high. Bring to a boil, cover and boil for 5 minutes. Remove cover and allow liquid to reduce to almost nothing, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sausage. Slice into bite size rounds.
- Add butter, garlic, red pepper, and onions to pan. Sauté over medium heat until vegetables are soft. Add sausage back into pan and allow sausage to brown.
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste for any additional seasoning needed. Remove hash to serving platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- In same pan, add a pat of butter. Crack the eggs into pan and fry to desired doneness. Season as desired. Top hash with eggs to serve.