Today is the final day of Pumpkin Week! And today I highlight my favorite recipe of all – Pumpkin Orange Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. I have to tell you, these cupcakes are quite delicious. They are mild in pumpkin flavor with some great orange background. They are moist and addictive! But then you add the cream cheese frosting and they become heavenly.
I made one batch in the regular sized muffin tin. When I frosted these cupcakes, I pushed the frosting tip down into the middle of the cupcake and stuffed the cupcake with the frosting. One word…WOW! Then I made the rest in a mini-muffin tin.The mini-cupcakes were so easy to scarf down…just walk through the kitchen and grab a mini. When a cupcake is that small, it has no calories…right?
I hope you enjoyed Pumpkin Week! My goal was to create recipes that rose above the familiar pumpkin pie (nothing wrong with a pumpkin pie…I just wanted more out of a pumpkin). I found pumpkin was perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then of course dessert. I hope you enjoy every pumpkin recipe we explored this week. I would love to hear how you use pumpkin! What unique pumpkin recipes would you recommend?
Pumpkin Orange Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
1/2 Cup Butter, room temperature
1 Cup Sugar
1 1/4 Cups Pumpkin, canned
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
2 Tbsp Orange Juice
2 Tbsp Orange zest
1 1/2 Cups Flour (All Purpose)
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 cup milk
8 oz Cream cheese, softened
8 Tbsp Butter, softened
1 1/2 Cups Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins with cupcake liners or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time. Beat again until well mixed. Add pumpkin, vanilla, orange zest, and orange juice.
- In a smaller bowl, sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Add flour mixture and milk intermittently until just incorporated. Do not overwork.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins until 3/4 full. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove and cool on racks until completely cooled.
- To make frosting: using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes.