So, I have been recovering from an unexpected surgery for the last two weeks. I won’t bore you with the details but I will say that soup has been a frequent staple in my house of late. Ramen noodle soup, split pea soup, french onion soup, soup, soup, soup. I have soup coming out of my pores!
One soup that is worth the effort every single time is a homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. And when I say homemade, it must be 100% completely from scratch. No canned or boxed broth or stock here (althouth it is a reasonable substitute every once in a while). This Chicken Noodle Soup starts with a homemade chicken broth, a whole chicken, and lots of soupy type (my technical jargon) veggies. You are absolutely going to love this soup whether you are nursing an illness or just craving some truly comforting winter food!
Homemade Chicken Broth and Chicken Noodle Soup Recipes
- 1 Whole chicken, 4 lbs., cut into 8 parts (ask your butcher)
- 1 Yellow onion, skin on, quartered
- 3 Carrots, scrubbed and cut in large chunks
- 4 Celery stalks with leaves, cut in large chunks
- 3 Garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 Bay leaves
- 10 Black peppercorns
- In a large stockpot, add chicken, onion, and celery. Cover with cool water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce to a simmer over medium low heat.
- Add seasonings and simmer for 4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Carefully strain into storage container. If freezing the broth, use freezer safe containers. Pull chicken meat and reserve for future use. Discard remaining items.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Carrots, scrubbed and sliced into rounds
- 2 Celery stalks, sliced
- 2 Tbsp Flour (All Purpose)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 8 Cups Chicken broth
- 8 oz Wide egg noodles
- 3 Cups Shredded chicken
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Black pepper
- In large soup pan, add oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Sweat the vegetables until onions are translucent. Do not brown vegetables.
- Add flour and stir for 3 minutes. Whisk in broth.
- Add bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add noodles and chicken. Cook about 8 minutes until noodles are tender. Taste soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.