I decided to do a little shopping during my lunch yesterday…MISTAKE! I had scheduled 45 minutes for this trip, which turned into about an hour and a half. And that’s without the actual lunch! Unless you have to do it, shopping should not be part of your plans right now. The traffic, the lines, the frantic search for that one last gift…it is all driving people a little crazy.
Given all this craziness, I think a simple dessert that screams pure elegance is just what is needed for our family meals this weekend. This dessert has everything one could wish for ~ the freshness of pears, the wintry spiciness of cinnamon, the delicate flavors of Moscato wine, and the sweet creaminess of vanilla whipped cream. After a heavy meal, Moscato Poached Pears with Vanilla Whipped Cream is simply perfect.
Moscato Poached Pears with Vanilla Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 Bottle Moscato wine, 750 mL
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1 Vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 6 Pears, firm and ripe, peeled with stem remaining
- 1 Cup Heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Powdered sugar
- Make the simple syrup: In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water over medium heat. Boil, reduce to medium low and simmer another 5 minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large, deep pot (must hold all pears in single layer) over medium heat, add wine, simple syrup, cinnamon stick halves, vanilla seeds and bean. Bring to a simmer.
- When simmering, add pears and continue to simmer for 20 minutes, turning pears occasionally. When pears are tender (not mushy), remove pears and allow to cool slightly.
- Continue simmering the remaining liquid for 15 minutes. Sauce should thicken and reduce by half. Cool to room temperature. Remove cinnamon stick and bean.
- While waiting for sauce to cool, beat heavy cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar in glass bowl to a soft peak.
- Serve one pear per person with wine sauce and a dollop of whipped cream.